By Bruce Fuhr,The Nelson Daily SportsThroughout his hockey career Geoff Kinrade has had to be patient.Which is why the Nelson Minor Hockey grad didn’t throw sticks around the dressing room or skates through a window after being sent to the minors by the Ottawa Senators prior to the start of the National Hockey League season.“I didn’t expect to make the Sens right out of camp,” Kinrade told The Nelson Daily. “I knew (making the NHL Sens) was going to require me to start in Binghamton, so I wasn’t disappointed (at all).”This was the second NHL camp for the 25-year-old defenceman. And the second kick at the can went much like the first.Kinrade remained with Ottawa for most of the training camp to rub elbows with the big boys. He played one exhibition game, that coming at the Bell Centre against the Montreal Canadiens.In that contest the 6-foot, 195-pound Kinrade logged 13-plus minutes, was whistled for a minor penalty and recorded one shot on goal.“The game in Montreal was my first real hockey game in a long time and I was, like many others, fairly rusty,” explained Kinrade, who has played one regular season game in the NHL, that coming April 9, 2009 for Tampa Bay against Alexander Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals. “But I thought I played fairly well.”Unfortunately, that would be the only opportunity Kinrade would have to impress the coaching staff. Soon after Kinrade and 15 others were assigned to Binghamton of the American Hockey League.“I would have liked another game or two but since they had their line up set it would just be delaying the inevitable,” Kinrade said. “So I wasn’t that disappointed. I felt like the game in Montreal was a way to quickly get back into game mode, and I would have to liked to play at least another knowing I would feel much more comfortable”“But like I said, (Ottawa brass) had their team picked and I’ll need to play well in Binghamton early on and just do what I can and be patient,” added Kinrade, finishing his first AHL campaign with 27 points in 76 games.The Sens’ management may need to take notice a little sooner than later after the team lost its first three games. Ottawa did win its first of the season Thursday, edging Carolina 3-2. And on the farm in Binghamton, Kinrade is doing his best to make the big club notice. In the season opener, the former Nelson Leaf had two assists as the Baby Sens dumped Adirondack 5-1.The next night wasn’t so good for Binghamton as Norfolk bounced the Sens 7-4. But Kinrade likes what he sees two games in.“I’ve had a good start (although) it’s too early to tell for sure,” said Kinrade, winner of the plus-minus award last season in Binghamton. “But I have much more confidence and feel really strong on the ice so far.”“The team looks really good so far,” he adds. “We have really good potential and are dangerous around the net. Scoring should not be an issue this year, though it’s early, we should have a really good team this year.”But the goal of every AHL player is to get work in the big leagues. And Kinrade is no different.“It will have to be a combination of things,” Kinrade confesses. “There are good players in Binghamton as well. We have a real strong defense and I’ll obviously need to be the top defenseman here to have the chance to get the call once there is an injury or a problem in Ottawa.”That’s where being patient comes into play. firstname.lastname@example.org
By Bruce Fuhr,The Nelson Daily SportsThe year was 1935. The date was November 29th. The day was Friday.That’s when Nelsonites gathered to kick open the doors on one of the most modern arenas of its time.Seventy-five years later, the building remains an important part of Nelson’s landscape and, thanks to the Nelson Sports Council, is slowly being brought back to life.To celebrate its 75th anniversary the Nelson Sports Council is holding a gala celebration beginning today.“The Civic Centre has been a landmark in Nelson for a lot of years,” said Cal Renwick, chair of the organizing committee for the weekend celebration. “There have been lots of events held in the Civic Centre, and not just hockey games. There was the George Chuvalo/Tommy Burns Canadian Heavyweight title match as well as some one told me Louis Armstrong played in the Civic after it just opened.”The anniversary celebration begins today at 6 p.m. with public skating and music provided by the L.V. Rogers and Trafalgar school bands.The Castlegar/Nelson Midget Rep contest concludes Friday’s events.Saturday is filled with many of the same events that opened the Civic Centre more than seven decades ago.“We’re trying to mirror a lot of the events that happened when the arena first opened,” Renwick explained. “Events like school races, public skating, minor hockey games and having bands play.”The highlight of the weekend is the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League contest between rivals Castlegar Rebels and Nelson Leafs. The home team will be wearing vintage Leaf jerseys that will be auctioned off.Prior to the KIJHL contest is a brief opening ceremony at 6:45 p.m. The committee will honour Nelson Maple Leaf senior hockey players from every decade.“We believe the hockey game will be close to a sellout,” said Renwick.Probably similar to what it was back in 1935.Check out the Nelson Sports Council website at http://nelsonsports.ca/ for a complete list of the weekend email@example.com
The Kootenay rink of Tom Buchy of Kimberley, third Fred Thomson of Nelson, second Dave Toffolo of Cranbrook and Darren Will lost in the first round of the Page Playoff 9-1 to Montgomery.Already trailing 7-1, Buchy calling long angle runback with his last rock takes out only one of the Montgomery rocks.Montgomery draws for two to end the game after five ends.Buchy, the zone winner from Kootenay, defeated Brent Yamada of Kamloops 10-4 to advance to the Page Playoff.After losing the first two games, Buchy reeled off three wins over Grant Dezura of Maple Ridge 8-2 and Dean Joanisse of New Westminster 8-6 before defeating Yamada.The Brier berth is a consolation prize for Morris who lost the final of the Olympic Trials to Brad Jacobs.The Tim Hortons Brier will be held in Kamloops starting March 1. John Morris came within a few shots of competing for Canada at the Sochi Olympics.The Kelowna skip is now off to his seventh Brier – his first representing BC — after hammering Jason Montgomery of Victoria 11-2 in Sunday’s BC Championship final in Vancouver.Morris and his rink from the Kelowna and Vernon curling clubs defeated Jason Montgomery of Victoria 11-2 in Sunday’s BC Championship final in Vancouver.The Okanagan foursome from the Kelowna and Vernon curling clubs of Morris (skip and throwing third rocks), Jim Cotter (throwing fourth stones), second Rick Sawatsky and lead Tyrell Griffith took control of the game from the opening end.
The Provisional Suspension Notice asserts that Mr Mullen returned a positive A-sample for an anabolic steroid, Drostanolone which is prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) and the NRL’s Anti-Doping Policy. He was tested by the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) on November 29, 2016.Mr Mullen is prohibited from participating in any WADA compliant sport, including Rugby League, while the provisional suspension is in place.Under the Anti-Doping Policy, Mr Mullen now has the opportunity to have his B-sample analysed.The NRL will not be making further comment while this process is under way.
HPS PNG Director, Aaron Alsop said the organization was looking at opportunities to collaborate on health education messaging for athletes and coaches.“Some of our athletes and coaches have been affected by Cancer through the loss of a family member, friend or even team mates.“It’s important that HP and other key sporting bodies promote healthy lifestyle and wellness education in partnership with wonderful organisations like PNGCF,” said Alsop.Alsop added that engaging athletes and coaches in workshops and courses on very important messages like cancer awareness is part of the holistic approach of developing great sporting people.“We provide a lot of support and a wide range of quality services, programs and education in High Performance.“But we never must forget at the fundamental level of every person, their health matters.“We believe in it so much, that we are employing a full time Health & Wellness officer to work with High Performance to deliver health education & create more partnerships with organisation like PNGCF that actively promote preventative health education messages.“PNGCF deserve a lot of credit for the work they do in the community” said Alsop.PNGCF’s Marketing and Fundraising Manager, Hayley Chown said the PNGCF was formed for the purpose of reducing the threat and impact of cancer through successful education and prevention programs.“The Daffodil month (August) campaign represents hope for a healthier PNG.“PNG Cancer Foundation utilises this campaign to provide education and awareness on breast, cervical and mouth cancers.“Focusing on how you can reduce your risk of cancer by making healthy lifestyle choices.” said Chown.PNGCF thanked HPS PNG for promoting healthy lifestyle habits and supporting the 2016 Daffodil Campaign, and for joining the fight against cancer in PNG.The PNGCF’s Office & Community Workshop will assist all those that participate to understand what cancer is, how to recognise early signs and symptoms and how they can protect themselves and families from the disease.Athlete, coaches and individuals who would like to attend the workshop are advised to register through the HPS PNG office via email to Richard on: firstname.lastname@example.org or Melissa on: email@example.com
The Chief of Staff of the Armed Forces of Liberia (AFL), Brigadier/General Daniel Ziankahn, has denied rumors that officers of the AFL are engaged in rape, harassment and armed robbery activities in the Port City of Buchanan, Grand Bassa County.Since the imposition of the 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. curfew (now 11 p.m. to 6a.m.) by President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, rumors emanating from Buchanan have alleged that uniformed, armed AFL soldiers were engaging in rape, harassment and armed robbery during curfew hours.A similar situation is also being reported in Monrovia, where the issue of armed robbery is on the increase. In Monrovia, it is being reported that the robbers are dressed in Army and Police uniforms and usually carry arms.But speaking on a local radio station, Magic FM, in Buchanan last week, when he was asked about the alleged situation in that county, General Ziankahn, refuted such claims. He said officers of the AFL would not be engaged in such acts. They are also stationed too far from Buchanan to surface at night to engage in such activities.The AFL Chief was speaking upon his return from the Timbo River Bridge between Grand Bassa and Rivercess counties, where AFL soldiers are deployed to protect that border after it was ordered closed by the government few months ago.He said the soldiers are operating with only one vehicle and that the distance from Timbo River Bridge is far from Buchanan for such acts. He further indicated that all of the officers assigned at the bridge are on duty together. “So it is hard to believe that the soldiers could be in that city at night raping and robbing people,” he said.General Ziankahn suggested that people who might have been involved in such acts are those that have access to camouflage and other security uniforms and not necessary the soldiers.“What the public should know is that people are masquerading wearing camouflage and other security uniforms on our streets, and there is no law against this in our country,” he said.Gen. Ziankahn then reminded citizens of Buchanan that every soldier of the AFL is identifiable by the rank insignias worn on their uniforms. He called on the citizens not to be afraid of the AFL.The purpose of his visit was to inspect the operations of the Joint Security Task Force at the Timbo River Bridge, which includes the AFL, Police, Immigration and the Drug Enforcement Agency. He warned citizens to respect the curfew imposed by government to contain the Ebola virus.According to the Liberia News Agency (LiNA), in the past weeks, four houses in central Buchanan and Biafra communities have been reportedly terrorized by armed men during curfew, leading to a 27-year-old woman being raped.The most recent report came from Biafra community, accusing men dressed in military uniform of flogging residents during curfew, all of which Gen. Ziankahn said are untrue.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
Real Madrid are looking for a new star striker this summer and are ready to make Sergio Aguero their big signing.The Argentine ace almost crossed Madrid from Atletico to Real in 2011 before securing his £35million switch to Manchester City.But the 26-year-old has remained a firm favourite of Real president Florentino Perez and he is ready to sanction a £70million post-season bid and finally land one of his favourite players.City do not need the money, of course, but Madrid hope they can persuade Aguero he has more chance of winning major silverware with them than the Premier League side. Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero 1
A Letterkenny school has ‘spelt’ out its success after winning a national spelling competition and claiming €15,000 worth of books in the process.Illistrin National School was one of just 12 schools to be shortlisted form more than 500 around the country to take part in the Eason Spelling Bee competition with Ryan Tubridy.Primary schools from all over the country took part with all schools hopeful of winning the terrific prize. Illistrin NS took part in the provincial heat hosted on Monday last on 2FM and then went on to compete against Rockcorry Church of Ireland NS in Monaghan and Brownlee Primary School, Lisburn in the final.The pressure of answering the questions was put on sixth class pupil Patrick Dorrian who came through the challenge with flying colours.Patrick, a sixth class pupil at Scoil Naomh Fiachre, was supported by his proud parents Frank and Collette Dorrian, his sister Niamh and a busload of supporters.Also there was proud Principal of Illistrin NS, Tom Feeney and class teacher Kieran Gallagher. The original entry to the competition was made by teachers Ms Clarke and Ms O’Hanlon.A fifth class pupil, Liam Orr, won this section of the competition and allowed the school to qualify for the competition.A spokesperson at the school told Donegaldaily “It has been a wonderful experience for all of us. Not alone have we now got €15,000 worth of new books, but the pupils are also much better at spelling.“We’re all so proud of everyone that was involved in any way and it has been a great morale booster for the school,” he said.Ends DONEGAL SCHOOL SPELLS OUT ITS SECRET TO SUCCESS WITH €15,000 LIBRARY WIN was last modified: June 18th, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:EasonsEasons Spelling BeeIllistrin NSRyan Tubridy
The Donegal Garda Division is to get a toot of 15 new patrol cars through 2015, it has been revealed.15 new Garda cars will arrive in Donegal this year.A total of 11 of these vehicles have already been delivered.Dinny McGinley TD has welcomed the news saying it will really help in the fight against crime in our communities.“11 cars have been issued to Donegal so far this year with 4 due to be issued in the coming weeks. “In addition to this 2015 allocation, €27.5 million was invested in new Garda vehicles between 2012 and 2014, which was an increase on the €4.8 million allocated by the previous Government in Budgets 2009-2011. In fact, Fine Gael has provided An Garda Síochána with at least €414 million more investment than Fianna Fáil had proposed for the same period. By contrast, Fine Gael in Government is determined to combat crime in local communities.”He addd that local Gardaí will be really bolstered by this influx of new vehicles, which is part of the Government’s comprehensive plan to fight crime.“As well as increasing the number of Garda vehicles, we are bringing more Gardaí out from behind the desks and out onto our streets.“We are also strengthening An Garda Síochána for the future by reopening the Garda training college in Templemore. When Fianna Fáil closed Templemore during their disastrous last term in Government it seemed to sound the death knell for Garda training. It is great to see Templemore rejuvenated again with 300 new students entering the college last September and another 250 recruits starting their training this year, bringing the total to 550. “As well as strengthening our Garda force and increasing the numbers of vehicles, the Minister for Justice, France Fitzgerald, is bringing in legislation to strengthen our response to burglaries. Too many people have had their homes violated and the proposed measures include longer sentences for repeat offenders.“In a move to support the victims of crime the Minister is also planning to bring in legislation to allow for implementation of the EU Victims Directive, and new Garda Victim Support Offices will be established in every Garda division.“With these practical measures and far reaching reforms we are going to show criminals how seriously we are taking the fight against crime.”DONEGAL DIVISION TO GET 15 NEW GARDA CARS THROUGHOUT 2015 was last modified: June 24th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:donegalGarda carsNew
Print Friendly Version A busy week of awards following a historic regular season continued Wednesday for the Drake University men’s basketball team with two more postseason honors from the Missouri Valley Conference.Junior Anthony Murphy was named to the All-Bench team while Nick McGlynn was voted on to the Most-Improved team, the league announced Wednesday, March 6.The honor was the second Most-Improved selection for McGlynn and comes a day after he was named the MVC Defensive Player of the Year, first-team All-MVC and a member of the All-Defensive team.The Most-Improved honor comes on the heels of a season in which McGlynn launched himself into the upper echelon of top players in the Valley by averaging 15.6 points and leading the league in rebounding with 8.5 rebounds per game. Last season, as a junior, he averaged 11.8 points and 5.7 rebounds per game.Murphy earned a spot on the All-Bench team in his first season in the Valley in helping lead the Bulldogs to a share of the Valley title in his role. The junior came off the bench to average 6.2 points and 4.0 points per game. He closed out the season strong, averaging 8.5 points in the last four games with a pair of double-figure games.The pair and their teammates return to action Friday, March 8, in the quarterfinals of the MVC Tournament at St. Louis’ Enterprise Center.