TOKYO, Japan (Reuters) – New Zealand are focussing all their energy on the World Cup rugby opener against South Africa on Saturday with coaches happy to have their most challenging match of the pool stages first up.The two old rivals, who have won the World Cup five times between them, meet in Yokohama to kick-start the tournament and lay down a marker for the weeks to come.With Italy, Namibia and Canada the other teams in Pool B, regardless of Saturday’s result New Zealand and South Africa would expect to qualify for the quarter-finals. It means All Blacks, who are chasing a third consecutive World Cup, will be holding nothing back on Saturday.“We’re actually not thinking too far ahead in this tournament right now because this weekend is a pretty big weekend, isn’t it?” assistant coach Ian Foster said yesterday. “And it’s kind of made it really good for us as coaches because we can just put all our energy into that first game.“Whichever way it goes then I guess we can sort out the plan that we follow after that.”South Africa come into the tournament having only lost once in their last seven matches, including a draw with New Zealand in July. The Springboks were victorious when the two sides met in Wellington this time last year. That means New Zealand are wary of the threat posed by coach Rassie Erasmus’ team and are looking at the match more as a standalone contest than a World Cup tone-setter.“We’re at a heightened state always when we play South Africa,” said Foster. “I know the World Cup is big but I guess our focus has been on this game for a while.”
(BBC) – Serbia winger Aleksandar Katai has left LA Galaxy by mutual consent after his wife posted “racist and violent” messages on social media.Katai’s wife Tea appeared to mock Black Lives Matter protestors and joked about looting in Instagram posts.In a one-line statement issued yesterday, the Major League Soccer club confirmed Katai had been released.Katai said the posts were unacceptable, adding her views “are not ones I share and are not tolerated in my family”.The 29-year-old added: “This is a mistake from my family and I take full responsibility.”Protests have been held around the world after unarmed black man George Floyd died while being restrained by a white Minneapolis police officer on May 25.Athletes from a number of sports have spoken out about racial discrimination and police brutality following Floyd’s death.In an earlier statement, LA Galaxy said: “LA Galaxy were made aware of a series of racist and violent social media posts by Tea Katai, the wife of LA Galaxy midfielder Aleksandar Katai.“The LA Galaxy strongly condemned the social posts and requested their immediate removal. The LA Galaxy stands firmly against racism of any kind, including that which suggests violence or seeks to demean the efforts of those in pursuit of racial equality.”Katai added: “I will ensure that my family and I take the necessary actions to learn, understand, listen and support the black community.“I am sorry for the pain these posts have caused the LA Galaxy family and all allies in the fight against racism.”The winger made two appearances for Galaxy after joining from Chicago Fire in December. He previously played for Red Star Belgrade and Alaves in La Liga.
Brandon Triche: BAdvertisementThis is placeholder textTriche had to relinquish the reigns to the SU offense to Jardine, and his growth as a scorer was tempered because of it. His shooting percentage dropped from 50 percent to 42 percent as he made only 30 more field goals since his freshman year. From deep, Triche went from 40 percent to 33 percent. Facebook Twitter Google+ Kris Joseph: B-Was Joseph ever going to be the next Wes Johnson this year? No. Expectations that he was can only be described as misguided. He led the team in scoring this year. That fact alone could give Joseph a great grade. But he earns this one because of the simple element in his game that was lacking: the ability to take over a game.Rick Jackson: AUndoubtedly Syracuse’s best player this season, Jackson was the one source of consistency on the roster. You knew what you were getting each night — most often a double-double. Without him, it’s likely the Orange wouldn’t have finished in the top half of the Big East standings.Baye Moussa Keita: C+Based on preseason expectations, Moussa Keita probably surprised some people. He gave the Orange frontcourt depth in the absence of DaShonte Riley. With that said, he wasn’t ready to play major minutes, and Jackson was thrust into the middle of the zone at inopportune times.Fab Melo: DWhile there were flashes of productivity at the end of the season, Melo’s freshman season will go down as a disappointment based on the early hype. It was clear from the first week of the season that he would be a work in progress, and he didn’t put it all together quickly enough to play a significant role.Dion Waiters: B-The guard went through many ups and downs in his freshman season with the Orange. From not seeing any time in SU’s first loss at Marquette in January to becoming its go-to scorer in the second matchup last Sunday, he came a long way, though. Overall, he looks to have a promising future.C.J. Fair: BThis freshman’s future also looks bright. If he bulks up in the offseason, he will be better able to handle playing down low in the physical Big East. And if he works on his midrange jumper, he could be a lethal weapon next season. The supreme athleticism is already there.Jim Boeheim: CBoeheim lost three outstanding college basketball players after last season and did well immediately with the hand he was dealt. However, it became clear this group had more talent than an exit in the Round of 32. He has now reached the Elite Eight only once in the past 15 seasons. Comments GradesScoop Jardine: B-The fourth-year junior point guard looked like anything but a fourth-year point guard at seemingly every important time this year. Still, his six assists per game was a number that put him near the top of the Big East. And simply, Jardine was SU’s most reliable late-game performer. Published on March 23, 2011 at 12:00 pm SuperlativesMVPRick JacksonThis is an obvious choice. Both Scoop Jardine and Kris Joseph said after SU’s loss to Marquette that there was ‘no telling’ how far the Orange would have gone without him. And with good reason — averaging a double-double speaks for itself.Most improvedBrandon TricheTriche adjusted to his new role as the two-guard as the season wore on and became a huge factor in SU’s late-season surge. Starting with the Orange’s victory at Seton Hall on Jan. 8, Triche scored in double figures in 12 of 14 games to finish the season strong.Biggest surpriseC.J. FairWith Kris Joseph out due to a concussion at Pittsburgh, Fair began his rise from freshman afterthought to key contributor. He had big games at home when SU beat Rutgers in overtime (17 points) and in the first round of the NCAA Tournament against Indiana State (14 points).Biggest disappointmentKris JosephJoseph led the team in scoring, but from watching him on a game-by-game basis, it was clear he never amounted to what Jim Boeheim hoped he’d become this season. He was mostly solid throughout the year, but rarely spectacular as the go-to option. He struggled to fill the shoes of first-team All-American Wes Johnson.
After capturing its last two road matches of the regular season, USC remains on track for a perfect record as the postseason looms ahead.The No. 1 USC men’s tennis team (23-0, 3-0) tallied its 43rd consecutive victory after dismantling Arizona (5-14, 0-3) 6-1 Saturday in Tucson. The win came one day after a 5-2 win over Utah (11-8, 0-3) in Salt Lake City.USC freshman Jordi Vives provided the clinching win over the Wildcats with his 6-1, 7-5 effort over Sebastian Ionescu.Before Vives guaranteed USC’s final road win, No. 2 senior Steve Johnson and No. 53 sophomore Emilio Gomez each defeated their opponents in straight sets for the 3-0 USC advantage.No. 23 sophomore Ray Sarmiento and freshman Roberto Quiroz added two more points for the Trojans with their singles wins, while freshman Eric Johnson fell 5-7, 5-7 to Carlos Bermudez for Arizona’s sole point of the match.In doubles action, the three USC pairs swept the field for the sixth straight match to capture a 1-0 lead prior to singles play.Before taking down the Wildcats in the 80-degree heat, the Trojans had defeated the Utes the day before in Salt Lake City, where they avoided the snowfall by facing off in an indoor stadium.After a sweep in doubles play and two singles wins from Johnson and Quiroz, Gomez provided the winning touch over Utah with his 6-4, 6-4 victory over Devin Lane.Sarmiento added another point for USC with a 7-6, 6-3 effort over Andre Vidaller before No. 13 senior Daniel Nguyen and No. 38 freshman Yannick Hanfmann both fell in a 10-point tiebreaker in the third set of their respective matches.Sarmiento, who was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week for the second time last week, has six consecutive singles wins, with the last five all in straight sets.“I’m playing well, [but] my goal is to peak in May. I just got to keep playing well, and I feel pretty good right now as a team,” Sarmiento said.Quiroz is also streaking with 12 in a row, while Steve Johnson carries the heftiest streak at 55 consecutive singles victories dating to last January.Despite the inevitable fatigue that comes with a back-to-back, the Trojans have welcomed the challenge with the understanding that the matches will harden the team for grueling postseason play.“For me personally, there was a lot of fatigue in the second match, especially in the heat,” Sarmiento said. “This is great preparation. It presents a lot of challenges and, as a team, I think we did pretty well and came through.”After taking its first four conference matches with a combined score of 25-3, USC will conclude the regular season and Pac-12 play against No. 5 UCLA (18-2, 4-0), No. 12 California (11-7, 4-0) and No. 11 Stanford (14-5, 4-0) at home.The Trojans will begin their final three-game homestand against the Golden Bears on Friday at 1:30 p.m., followed by a clash against the Cardinal on Saturday at 1 p.m.
Published on October 16, 2017 at 6:29 pm Contact KJ: firstname.lastname@example.org | @KJEdelman Syracuse senior cross country runner Justyn Knight, who placed first on Friday at the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational, was named United States Track and Field and Cross Country Coaches Association National Performer of the Week on Monday.Knight is currently coming off a season where he placed third at the NCAA Outdoor Championships and placed ninth at the IAAF World Championships, both in the 5000-meters. Knight’s participation on Friday was in doubt after his track season was extended until Mid-August.“(When he runs), he will run to win,” Fox said, ” If he lines up at Wisconsin, it’s because he believes he will win.”Knight raced his first meet of the season behind other All-Americans Colin Bennie and Philo Germano. Nearing the end of the race, Knight zoomed past Stanford’s Grant Fisher to finish the race at a time of 23:28.5. The Syracuse men placed third at the meet.Going back to last season, Knight has won three-straight meets and six of the last seven. This is the second time he has won the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational, becoming one of only two runners to win the event multiple times.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textThis is the fourth time Knight has been named national athlete of the week during his tenure at Syracuse, with his most recent title occurring last track season. He also earned the honor after winning the Nuttycombe Wisconsin Invitational last year.Knight will next race at the John Reif Memorial in Ithaca on October 20th. That meet will mark the final race of the team’s season before ACC Championships. Comments Facebook Twitter Google+
Stevie O’Donnell was at the game for Tipp FM Sport.In the FAI Youth Cup 4th Round it finished Woodslawn Sportslink of Dublin 2 Clonmel Town 5. And in the North Tipp Premier Division League it finished Nenagh Celtic 2-0 Sallypark. The local derby saw Kenny O’Shea’s side defeat Paul Scully’s Clonmel Town. The full time score was Clonmel Town 1 Clonmel Celtic 2. Clonmel Celtic now join St Michaels in the last eight of the competition.
The Limerick Junction track hosts their popular Point-To-Point Evening Meeting.The first of a seven race card is due off at 5.30pm.
Miami-Dade County Public Schools (M-DCPS) currently provides the After-school Meals Program, a sub-component of the Child Care Food Program under the U.S. Department of Agriculture, in over 200 schools, and announces the implementation of additional locations starting April 2, 2018 at Virginia A. Boone/Highland Oaks Elementary (20500 N.E. 24th Avenue, Miami, FL 33180), Miami Springs Middle (150 S. Royal Poinciana Blvd., Miami Springs, FL 33166), Westland Hialeah Senior (4000 West 18th Avenue, Hialeah, FL. 33012) and Young Men’s Preparatory Academy (3001 N.E. 2nd Avenue, Miami, FL. 33127) and on April 7, 2018, Riviera Middle (10301 S.W. 48 Street, Miami, FL 33165). Provide nutritious mealsThe meals’ program is designed primarily to provide nutritious meals to children in after-school programs throughout the school district during weekdays and selected Saturdays throughout the school district.Beginning April 2, 2018, an afterschool meal will be available at no separate cost to the children enrolled in the after-school care programs at Virginia A. Boone/Highland Oaks Elementary, Miami Springs Middle, Westland Hialeah Senior, and Young Men’s Preparatory Academy. Beginning April 7, 2018, breakfast will be available at no separate cost to the children enrolled in the Saturday Academy at Riviera Middle school. For specific details, please contact each school directly. No discrimination permittedIn accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA. Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English. To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at: http://www.ascr.usda.gov/complaint_filing_cust.html and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: (1) mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights 1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 (2) fax: (202) 690-7442; or (3) email: email@example.com.
AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThis“Today what we’re doing is a point in time count and we are looking for homeless individuals on this particular day to identify what’s led them to their homelessness to provide assistance.”These are the words of James Juchartz from the Northeast Michigan Community Agency.Juchartz said in 2016 there were roughly 700 people experiencing homelessness within the five county area: Alpena, Alcona, Iosco, Montmorency, and Presque Isle.Assistance is part of the equation. Another fraction is the cold weather currently hitting Alpena.“We went through a spat of -40 degree temperatures. So we see cases of frost bite, individuals that may lose their appendages, definitely flu and pneumonia,” Juchartz said.The housing program supervisor said area shelters are available during the winter season, but they usually get filled to capacity.“So individuals experiencing homelessness,” Juchartz said, “they’re going to be staying in places like county parks, fairgrounds, behind shopping malls in the woods in tents.”Anywhere to make sure they have a roof over their head to brace for the cold.“When you’re homeless you have a lot of pride,” he said, “you don’t want to seek help. But after so long it gets to you, and you feel worthless, and you don’t feel like you can sustain yourself.”Juchartz said that’s very hard for some people to accept.AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterShare to MoreAddThisContinue ReadingPrevious Huron Humane Society to have ‘Members Only’ meeting-clarify legal standing, bi-law changesNext Hinks Elementary celebrates world read aloud day
American manager Bob Bradley has expressed confidence and enthusiasm in the Egyptian team ahead of the first leg of the World Cup play-off against Ghana, Tuesday, in Kumasi.”We did a lot of work. We studied Ghana well; we respect them, but not too much. We are a good team,” the 55 year-old tactician said during a press conference held Wednesday at the re-commencing of the Pharaohs’ preparations camp.”We must be smart in Kumasi. We need to play with the right mentality; intellectually but with confidence.””The players are the ones who deserve all the credit because of their concentration during the group stage [in which Egypt got full marks to top group G],” the former United States coach added.The winners of seven African Cup of Nations titles, who are bidding for their first qualification ticket since 1990, are scheduled to play the second leg at the Cairo stadium on 19 November.However, Ghana launched a request Tuesday to FIFA to move the game to a neutral venue due to security concerns. “I hope we can play in Cairo, as it will be my first match there. We play in many places without fans, but this match will be special,” Bradley said.He also spoke about key players praising duo Mohamed Salah and Abou-Treika for their team work on the field.”The return of Ahly players to the camp after a positive draw away in the CAF Champions League semi-final lifted the spirit of the camp. They returned with high morale.”Ahly’s eleven players joined the camp for national duty after Monday’s 1-1 draw against Coton Sport in Cameroon.Bradley praised goalkeeper Sherif Ekrami, giving him credit for winning in previous games. He defended his squad, saying they are at their fittest, adding that he has combined young and experienced players for variety in each position. He also commented on the Black stars’ big names, including Michael Essien and Sulley Muntari, saying, “We respect them, but not too much.”The Pharaohs skipper, defender Wael Gomaa, also spoke during the press conference, saying: “We promise all Egyptians that we will do our best to go to Brazil, especially following our good results in the previous round. We respect their players, but we are determined to win.””In Egypt, everyone speaks about their World Cup dream, regardless of their political background. Qualification could indicate that the country is moving forward,” Bradley concluded.