Tyus Battle’s game-winner lifts Syracuse to win over former conference-foe Georgetown

first_img Published on December 8, 2018 at 5:48 pm Contact Charlie: csdistur@syr.edu | @charliedisturco Syracuse had relied on Battle heavily last season. If he didn’t score 20-plus points per game, it often would result in a loss. This season, when he struggled, other players were there to pick him up.He had just eight points in the season opener against Eastern Washington. Oshae Brissett carried the Orange with 20 points and eight rebounds. He had just two points against Northeastern. Again, Brissett, carried the burden, putting up 21 points and 14 rebounds.But this time, there was nobody to help out. If Battle didn’t come alive, Syracuse was dead in the water.“I’ve been doing it since I picked up a basketball,” Battle said. “I love last-second shots, pressure situations.”Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff PhotographerWith 37 seconds left, that high-pressure opportunity came for Battle, a chance to give the Orange the lead. His jumper missed and Georgetown controlled possession.Nearly 25 seconds later, Jagan Mosely drove toward the hoop. He lowered his shoulder and trucked Marek Dolezaj. Offensive foul.Syracuse had another chance. Battle took it.Swish. Inside the Carrier Dome, it was silent. The crowd watched as Tyus Battle’s pull-up jumper made its way through the air and toward the hoop in the final seconds of the game with the Orange down one.Swish.The Carrier Dome erupted.The cheers wouldn’t subside until minutes after Georgetown’s last-second heave came up short. Somehow, Syracuse (7-2) erased a 15-point deficit to comeback and take down its former Big East rival Georgetown (7-2), winning its fifth straight, 72-71, on Saturday afternoon in front of 24,082 fans. It was a whirlwind of a game, one that saw SU shoot 7.1 percent from 3 in the first half. One that saw a 17-4 run quickly propel the Orange back into contention. One that was magically orchestrated by the hands of Battle.“He’s made a lot of big shots,” SU head coach Jim Boeheim said. “Probably as much or more than anybody we’ve ever had here in late-game situations.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textIt began early for Battle. In his freshman year, Battle nailed a corner 3 to upset Clemson. A year later, he tallied nine-straight points to stave off Maryland and drained the late 3 to pull SU within two in an eventual win over Georgetown in last year’s matchup between the two teams.The first half of this year’s matchup was one to forget for Syracuse. The Hoyas used a packed-in defense and forced the Orange to beat them via the long ball. It was a smart strategy, considering SU is among the worst 3-point shooting teams in the NCAA.“The first half, Georgetown was more physical,” Boeheim said. “They got up in us, we ended up shooting more difficult 3s.”Alexandra Moreo | Senior Staff PhotographerSyracuse shot 7.1 percent from 3 in the first frame. Battle himself, missed a pair from beyond the arc. He had just one basket — an offensive rebound and lay-up off a missed free throw — and shot 1-for-8.Then, in the locker room during halftime, with Syracuse trailing by double digits, Boeheim “challenged” him. He told Battle that the team cannot win with the way he was playing. He had to take over the game.“I can’t repeat all the stuff,” Battle said with a smile. “It woke me up and got me going. That’s why he’s a Hall of Famer.”Walking out of the tunnel, Battle changed his mindset, he said. Focus on transition buckets. Get to the free throw line more. Attack. Once he did that, the rest of his game would follow.Right away, Battle came out firing. First, it was a corner 3. Then it was a drive to the hoop, drawing a foul. He sunk both free throws. A quick stutter-step and drive to the basket, and Battle converted an and-1. He was even triple-teamed and nailed a baseline jumper.All of a sudden, the Orange propelled themselves into the game.Anything Georgetown threw at the junior, he had an answer for. Battle was unconscious. In the second half, he shot 7-for-10, including a 50-percent clip from 3.“A lot of people might fold in the position that he was in,” said freshman point guard Jalen Carey, who made a clutch 3 late in the game. “Lot of pressure on him. He didn’t play well in the first half, but it’s how you respond to the criticism and how you respond to what coach said.”More coverage:2nd half boost, hot shooting and more takeaways from Syracuse’s win over GeorgetownJalen Carey’s impact helps Syracuse in comeback against Georgetown Facebook Twitter Google+ Commentslast_img read more

City Star Makes Golden Boy Top Three Shortlist

first_imgManchester City forward Gabriel Jesus has been named in the final three for the 2017 European Golden Boy award.Brazilian star Jesus joins Ousmane Dembele of Barcelona and Paris Saint-Germain striker Kylian Mbappe on the 3-man shortlist.A 24-strong shortlist had earlier been released before it was trimmed to the final three.Italian newspaper Tuttosport are the organisers of the 2017 award, which honours the best player aged under 21 in European football based on their performances throughout the year.Young Portuguese midfielder Renato Sanches, who is on loan at Welsh club Swansea City from German champions Bayern Munich, is the recipient of the 2016 award.GOLDEN BOY’S ORIGINAL 24-MAN LISTAaron Martin (Espanyol)Jean-Kevin Augustin (RB Leipzig)Rodrigo Bergwijn (Juventus)Dominic Calvert-Lewin (Everton)Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina)Ousmane Dembele (Barcelona)Amadou Diawara (Napoli)Kasper Dolberg (Ajax)Gianluigi Donnarumma (AC Milan)Gabriel Jesus (Manchester City)Joe Gomez (Liverpool)Benjamin Henrichs (Bayer Leverkusen)Borja Mayoral (Real Madrid)Kylian Mbappe (Paris Saint-Germain)Emre Mor (Celta Vigo)Reece Oxford (B. Monchengladbach)Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund)Marcus Rashford (Manchester United)Allan Saint-Maximin (Nice)Dominic Solanke (Liverpool)Theo Hernandez (Real Madrid)Youri Tielemans (Monaco)Enes Unal (Villarreal)Kyle Walker-Peters (Tottenham)RelatedKylian Mbappe & Marcus Rashford Headlines 25-Man Shortlist For 2017 Golden Boy AwardSeptember 19, 2017In “Europe”Kylian Mbappe Wins Golden Boy AwardOctober 23, 2017In “Europe”SCO Angers vs FC Girondins BordeauxJune 30, 2017Similar postlast_img read more

Mets relievers reportedly caused another meltdown — by the GM who put relief crew together

first_imgVan Wagenen berated his on-field staff and threw a chair during a closed-door meeting Friday night after closer Edwin Diaz and setup man Jeurys Familia combined to turn a tie game in the ninth inning into a 7-2 loss to the Phillies, the New York Post reported Saturday.MORE: Watch ‘ChangeUp,’ a new MLB live whiparound show on DAZN Van Wagenen neither confirmed nor denied that he had an outburst.”We as a staff often meet with coaches and players throughout the course of the season,” the Post quoted Van Wagenen as saying. “I am not going to give the specifics to any of those meetings.”The ‘pen was good enough Saturday night to preserve a 6-5 victory over the Phillies. Five pitchers — including demoted starter Steven Matz — combined for four innings of one-run ball. Diaz finished for the save.  Diaz, 25, has pitched poorly of late after being solid, if unspectacular, to begin in the season. Before Saturday, he had a 13.50 ERA and three blown saves over 12 appearances dating to May 29, punctuated by four earned runs in one-third of an inning Friday. There were reports earlier Saturday that the Mets were looking at removing Diaz from the closer role. Diaz’s struggles have rankled Mets fans who lament the fact that Van Wagenen traded well-regarded prospects Jarred Kelenic and Justin Dunn to the Mariners for the right-hander as part of an offseason trade that also brought expensive, underachieving second baseman Robinson Cano to Flushing. The Mets will have three years of contractual control over Diaz after this season.Van Wagenen’s other offseason bullpen moves have gone much worse. Snakebit or stupid? You decide:— He re-signed Familia, 29, in mid-December to a three-year, $30 million contract, a deal that now looks to be overly generous. The club traded the former closer to the A’s last July when it decided to become deadline sellers. This year, Familia has dealt with an unspecified shoulder issue that has cost him time on the injured list. His ERA jumped to 7.76 after he was charged with a run Friday (he also allowed both of the runners he inherited from Diaz to score).— He signed free agent left-hander Justin Wilson to a two-year, $10 million contract in late January. Wilson, 31, landed on the IL in April with an elbow problem, returned too quickly in May, and then missed almost two more months before being activated this week. Wilson had problems throwing strikes the previous two seasons, and that trend has continued this year (four walks in 10 innings).— He and the coaches decided to bring non-roster left-hander Luis Avilan north for the start of the season. Avilan, 29, was mostly bad (9.00 ERA in 11 appearances) before missing two months with an elbow injury. He returned the same time Wilson did this week. The Mets are headed toward a third consecutive losing season, and their bullpen bears a lot of the responsibility for that. New York relievers entered Saturday’s game with an MLB-worst 21 blown saves and a 5.70 ERA, which is among the worst in baseball.First-year general manager Brodie Van Wagenen, who put together the group in the offseason, has had enough, it seems, and he’s taking out his frustration on his manager and coaches.  — He has yet to pull a gem from an in-season grab bag of filler relievers. Wilmer Font (4.82 ERA in 28 innings as a swingman), acquired in a May trade with the Rays, is the closest thing. Fourteen other pitchers have been shuffled through the staff’s revolving door.Holdovers Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman have also had ups and downs, Gsellman in particular. Heavy workloads and shifting roles — which are being blamed on manager Mickey Callaway but reportedly have the front office’s fingerprints on them — appear to be wearing them down. Lugo’s lengthy, and ultimately unsuccessful, outing during a game in Chicago on June 23 sparked a clubhouse blowup by Callaway toward a newspaper reporter, which in turn forced Van Wagenen and team COO Jeff Wilpon to respond publicly.It stands to reason that tempers are flaring again as management watches the bullpen put an early end to what was supposed to be a good season. Van Wagenen may be busting up furniture while lashing out at other people, but he also should realize that a lot of the breakdowns have been caused by what looks to be his shoddy construction work.last_img read more