Wilmingtons Latest Legal Notices Week of June 9 2019

first_imgWILMINGTON, MA — Below are the latest legal notices related to Wilmington, published during the week of Sunday, June 9, 2019:190693 — Benson — 26 Fairmeadow Road 190775 — Graham Estate190793 — Bids — Porous Pavement Sidewalk Shady Lane DrBurlington Self Storage Auction(NOTE: The above public notices is from MassPublicNotices.org.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email wilmingtonapple@gmail.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington’s Latest Legal Notices (Week of June 23, 2019)In “Government”Wilmington’s Latest Legal Notices (Week of September 1, 2019)In “Government”Wilmington’s Latest Legal Notices (Week of August 11, 2019)In “Government”last_img read more

Smart lightbulbs could be exporting your personal data to China

first_img 5 Share your voice Now playing: Watch this: 3:16 7 ways smart home devices can help you sleep better Tags Comments Smart lightbulb at CES 2019. David Becker / Getty Images Today, you can operate almost everything in your house from your phone. But, like most technology, nothing is perfect. While smart lightbulbs themselves aren’t dangerous, the apps and platforms that control them might be. Last month, Dark Cubed, an American cybersecurity company, released its State of IoT Security report and detailed potential security threats in smart home devices. Dark Cubed said it purchased several in-home smart devices that can be found at Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy or other stores and tested their security. While the company said that it wasn’t surprising that most of the apps weren’t secure, the IoT (Internet of Things) lightbulbs were even worse. According to Dark Cubed, simply dimming your smart lightbulb could be enabling real-time location sharing. “What was surprising was the fact that some of these devices, such as the IoT lightbulb, were so insecure that it is beyond what could be considered a mistake,” Dark Cubed reported. “We found that the extent to which the manufacturers and infrastructure associated with these devices communicate with, or is related to, China is shocking and has significant national security implications.”The company also noted that while most IoT devices are manufactured in China, some of the tested devices and their companion apps were secure and didn’t share data.”Unfortunately, consumers have no ability to differentiate between the safe and the dangerous devices given the lack of focus on security by retailers,” Dark Cubed said in its report. Mobile Securitylast_img read more

Latest Catholic scandal spotlights questions of consent in priestparishioner relation …

first_img By: Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins TagsArchdiocese of Galveston-Houston Catholic bishops Catholic sex abuse scandal clergy sex abuse scandal Daniel DiNardo homepage featured Roman Catholicism Texas Top Story USCCB,You may also like Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email,About the authorView All Posts Catholicism Share This! Share This! As Amazon burns, Vatican prepares for summit on region’s faith and sustainabilit … August 30, 2019 Share This! Jack Jenkins Jack Jenkins is a national reporter for RNS based in Washington, covering U.S. Catholics and the intersection of religion and politics.,Add Comment Click here to post a comment Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins By: Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins Share This!center_img Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email,(RNS) — New questions about how Catholic leaders deal with sexual misconduct arose Tuesday (June 4) after a Texas woman claimed in a news report that church officials in Houston allowed a priest with whom she had a sexual relationship to continue in ministry at a parish two hours away.Yesterday’s story following an Associated Press investigation detailed an unsettling account of Laura Pontikes, who said Cardinal Daniel DiNardo, head of the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston the current president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, failed to respond adequately to her 2016 claim that Monsignor Frank Rossi, a deputy to DiNardo, had begun a relationship in August 2012 after the cleric spent years as her priest and confessor.Pontikes claimed that Rossi induced her to perform sexual acts in his office during spiritual direction sessions, absolving her of her sins and eventually consummating their relationship with intercourse — all while the priest argued that such “holy touches” were encouraged by Paul the Apostle. Rossi also allegedly pushed her and her husband to donate millions of dollars to his church, St. Michael the Archangel.  Laura Pontikes pauses during an interview in the prayer section of her apartment in Houston on April 13, 2019. The 55-year-old Texas construction company executive and mother of three had been seeking God when she began spiritual counselling with Monsignor Frank Rossi. The Galveston-Houston archdiocese acknowledged a sexual relationship between Rossi and Pontikes, but asserted that it was consensual. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)In the era of #MeToo and #ChurchToo, the fact that the accuser is an adult has not spared the church new scrutiny about the church hierarchy’s slowness to respond to sexual misconduct claims or about what experts have been quick to call confusion regarding what constitutes consent.“People make assumptions that maybe once someone’s an adult, 18 or 19, that they can consent,” said David Pooler, a professor at Baylor University who has studied abusive sexual relationships between clergy and other adults.“The research that I’ve done in this area … is that that there was no ability to consent (to a relationship with a priest) because of the dependence that the parishioner or congregant had on this priest.”According to the AP, the Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston acknowledged that Rossi’s relationship “included encounters of a sexual nature” but insisted the relationship never involved intercourse and that the priest never heard Pontikes’ confession during or after the relationship became physical. (A priest absolving someone with whom he has engaged in sexual sin is a crime under canon law punishable with possible excommunication.)Pontikes and her husband, George, argue that not only did Rossi manipulate and betray his parishioner, but that the archdiocese’s attempts at mediation focused primarily on financial settlements.OPINION: The priest in ‘Fleabag’ is not coolAfter the relationship was revealed to church officials, Rossi was placed in a smaller parish in the same state. It was only this week that the Diocese of Beaumont, where Rossi still served until recently, announced that he has been placed on “temporary administrative leave” pending the outcome of a criminal investigation of the relationship.Texas law states that if a clergyperson exploits a person’s emotional dependency for sex, then it is without consent.An illuminated sign outside St. Michael Archangel Catholic Church in Houston reads, “Go, and from now on do not sin any more” on April 11, 2019. The Catholic church, which has been grappling for decades with the sexual abuse of children, is now being forced to reckon with the recognition that adults too can be sexually exploited by clergy. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)Natalia Imperatori-Lee, a professor at Manhattan College who studies Catholic ecclesiology, suggested the situation echoed the Catholic Church’s attempts to cover up priests’ sexual abuse of minors.“Clericalism is a problem with many consequences,” Imperatori-Lee said, referring to a common criticism that the church protects its leaders, even when it means dismissing the needs of its followers.“One of those is that the priest, when viewed as superhuman, is always already in a position of power vis-a-vis a layperson. Thus, if a sex act occurs or is initiated by either party, the person with the power is responsible — in this case, the priest.”She added: “The fact that sacramental confession entered into this case is even more worrisome, particularly if the priest’s superiors did not inquire about it.”Pooler said Pontikes’ account of her interactions with Rossi — a relationship that began slowly, couched in spiritual language, and was magnified by a church hierarchy that is slow to respond — matches patterns he found in a survey of 27 survivors of clergy-perpetrated sexual abuse.“The 27 survivors (said) the way they were treated by the church was actually worse than the abuse itself,” Pooler said.Pooler’s research included people from both Protestant and Catholic traditions, and he was quick to stress that the broader issue of sexual abuse among adults is not unique to Catholicism. But he noted that accounts of high-ranking church officials’ shielding the institution appear to be more and more common.“It’s almost like the institution cannot function without protecting itself,” he said.In Rossi’s case, the breakdown of accountability could be seen as particularly acute: While serving the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese in various roles such as vice chancellor, Rossi helped handle many of the region’s abuse cases.Monsignor Frank Rossi blesses a child during Holy Communion at a Mass in Our Lady of the Pines Catholic Church in Woodville, Texas, on April 14, 2019. On Tuesday, June 4, 2019, after The Associated Press alerted the U.S. Catholic Church that it was preparing a story involving Rossi, his new boss announced he had placed Rossi on leave pending the outcome of the criminal sexual misconduct investigation Houston police launched in August. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)Imperatori-Lee said the church’s top-down attempts to cure its systemic problem of dealing with abuse, which have been a priority since the 2002 “Spotlight” scandal, may be working against it.“When parishes and dioceses over-rely on prepackaged compliance programs, a false sense of having ‘solved’ the problem or ‘trained’ personnel can substitute for the genuine vigilance that is required when we are dealing with vulnerable people — children, but also those in spiritual pain who are seeking help,” she said.She added: “Sexual abuse in the church must be addressed, but it requires a cultural shift away from secrecy and toward transparency. Online training, HR courses or in-service days give us the illusion of ‘doing something’ without genuinely shifting clerical culture.”It remains unclear as to what impact the scandal will have on DiNardo, who is already under fire for allegedly not doing enough to stop a priest under his purview who is currently being charged with two counts of indecency with a child that occurred in 1998 and 2000.In December 2018, the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests called for DiNardo’s resignation as head of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, a month after the offices of the Galveston-Houston Archdiocese he leads were searched by police.According to the AP, police found files locked away in a bank vault during their search that the archdiocese had previously failed to turn over. By: Jack Jenkins jackmjenkins Instagram apostasy stirs controversy over Christian ‘influencers’ August 30, 2019 News • Photos of the Week Photos of the Week August 30, 2019 News Share This! Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.,Beth Moore’s ministry reignites debate over whether women can preach Southern Baptist seminary denies request for reparations Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Email Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn ReddIt Emaillast_img read more

VIDEO Nofly Zone Established During Super Bowl At NRG Stadium

first_img To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: Share – / 10We take off from Ellington Field in a small, one-engine airplane and fly about 15 miles over to NRG Park.We circle it twice before making our way back.On Sunday, no aircraft (including drones) will be allowed near the area, and Air National Guard jets and helicopters will be nearby to intercept.Pilots with the Civil Air Patrol, the official civilian auxiliary for the Air Force, test the security plan by flying into the restricted zone.Video Playerhttps://cdn.hpm.io/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/01164506/florian-flight-film.mp400:0000:0000:23Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.“(Air National Guard pilots) get the number off the side,” Russell Peck, one of the pilots for the Civil Air Patrol, explained. “They will try to call us if we happen to be on an emergency frequency, which we should be as a general aviation person, should be monitoring that frequency.”If the aircraft isn’t listening, the Air National Guard will signal it to follow and have it land nearby.Since the terror attacks of Sep. 11, 2001, the Federal Aviation Administration institutes these no-fly zones fairly regularly – not just for the Super Bowl but any event where a lot of people gather, like an Astros game, for example.Breaches of the temporary flight restriction, or TFR, occur fairly regularly.“If you happen to be talking to air traffic control, they would tell you about it,” Peck said. “But otherwise, it’s real easy to go into a TFR that you’re just not aware of.”But he said most should be aware that the Super Bowl is happening at NRG Stadium on Sunday. 00:00 /01:14 Listen Xlast_img read more

Senior Classes Available Through Osher Lifelong Learning

first_imgOsher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) offers a unique opportunity for seniors to continue learning at the university level. Subjects include: Politics, Law and Government; Visual Arts and Music; Literature and Language; Psychology, Sociology and Culture; Economics; Biology, Physics, Chemistry and Math; History and Geography; Philosophy and Religion. Classes are held in Northwest D.C. and Bethesda. Semesters are Fall and Spring and each semester is $275 which entitles a member to three (3) classes per semester.  Osher is a volunteer organization. Classes are led by volunteers and fees cover the costs of staff, rental space, the catalog, the website and registration system. For more information, please visit the OLLI website at www.olli-dc.org or call 202-895-4860.last_img read more

Advanced Robotic Arm Controlled by Monkeys Thoughts w Video

first_img(PhysOrg.com) — Researchers at the University of Pittsburgh have demonstrated a monkey controlling an advanced robotic arm by using its thoughts. The experiments were led by Dr. Andrew Schwartz, a professor of neurobiology and involved a high degree of complexity in the robotic arm, the level of control, and the intricacy of the manipulations. © 2010 PhysOrg.com This is not the first time that Dr. Schwartz implanted sensors in a monkey’s brain to control a robotic arm. Back in May of 2008 experiments were conducted by Dr. Schwartz, using a simpler mechanical arm, to teach a monkey to feed itself. This was a four-degrees-of-freedom arm with shoulder joints, elbow, and a simple gripper. In this demonstration researchers at the University of Pittsburgh have taught a monkey to use its thoughts to control an advanced robotic arm and perform elaborate maneuvers with it. Credit: University of Pittsburgh In the video above the monkey (right side of video) uses its right arm to tap a button which triggers the robotic manipulator to position a black knob to an arbitrary position. The monkey is then seen controlling its articulated robotic arm to grasp the knob.After touching the knob the monkey places its mouth on a straw to be rewarded with a drink. By constant repetition the monkey eventually starts placing its mouth on the straw before touching the knob knowing that a drink is coming.This advanced robotic arm has seven-degrees-of-freedom as compared to the four-degrees-of-freedom arm back in 2008. The added three more degrees of freedom adds an articulated wrist which can perform pitch, roll and yaw movements. These movements enable the monkey to precisely turn the knob by rotating the mechanical wrist.By putting the brain in direct communications with machines, researchers will one day be able to engineer and operate advanced prosthetics in a natural way to help paralyzed people live a close to normal life.As of this writing Dr. Schwartz and his colleagues have not published the detailed results of their latest experiments.You can now listen to all PhysOrg.com podcasts at www.physorg.com/podcasts-news/ Citation: Advanced Robotic Arm Controlled by Monkey’s Thoughts (w/ Video) (2010, June 3) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2010-06-advanced-robotic-arm-monkeys-thoughts.htmlcenter_img Woman outfitted with robotic arm Explore further This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only. In the video above monkeys in the Dr. Schwartz’s lab are able to move a robotic arm to feed themselves marshmallows and chunks of fruit while their own arms are restrained.In the experiments conducted this year two sensors were implanted into the monkey’s brain. One was implanted in the hand area and the second in the arm area of its motor cortex. The sensors monitor the firing of motor neurons and send data to the computer that translates the patterns into commands that control the robotic arm.last_img read more

Franchises retain 41 Indian footballers for 2015 ISL

first_imgThe Indian Super League (ISL) franchises have retained a total of 41 footballers and signed 23 more from the open market in a step towards building their respective squads for the second edition of the tournament later this year.All the eight franchises have submitted on Friday, within the stipulated deadline, the list of retained Indian players as well as open market signings, an ISL release said on Sunday.The franchises had a retention quota of minimum of one and maximum of six Indian players. Also Read – Khel Ratna for Deepa and Bajrang, Arjuna for JadejaFranchises Chennaiyin FC, FC Goa, FC Pune City and Kerala Blasters FC have exercised the maximum allowed retention clause by retaining six Indian players each from their previous squad.Delhi Dynamos and NorthEast United FC have retained five each, defending champions Atletico de Kolkata retained four players and Mumbai City FC continued the services of three.Each franchise is allowed to have a squad of 22, comprising 13 Indian and 9 international players including one marquee signing. Additionally, a franchise can sign 3 more players from the open market which can include maximum of 2 international player.Indian player signings will be completed in the month of July through an auction followed by draft of unsigned players. The 2015 ISL is scheduled to kick-off in September and stretch till December 2015.last_img read more