‘Biggest waste of money since Michael Owen’ – Newcastle fans blast Aleksandar Mitrovic

first_imgNewcastle boss Steve McClaren urged Aleksandar Mitrovic to keep his emotions under control after he was booked in his first two games for the club.But the Serbian youngster – a £12million signing from Anderlecht earlier this summer – clearly wasn’t listening to his boss as he was sent off just 15 minutes into Saturday’s clash with Arsenal.The red card looked harsh on the 20-year-old but it left Mapgies fans seething, with many blasting the player as a liability and suggesting he should not have been brought in to St James’ Park.Check out some of the best reaction on Twitter to Mitrovic’s sending off… //storify.com/talksport/newcastle-fans-blast-aleksandar-mitrovic-after-ars.js?border=false[View the story “Newcastle fans blast Aleksandar Mitrovic after Arsenal red card” on Storify] 1center_img Aleksandar Mitrovic is sent off last_img read more

ROAD CLOSED AFTER CRASH

first_imgTHE Lifford/Letterkenny Road is closed after a road traffic collision involving up to four vehicles this morning.Gardai are at the scene of the incident near Tully’s Tyres/Motorists are being diverted whilst an investigation continues.  ROAD CLOSED AFTER CRASH was last modified: April 4th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

PAUL DURCAN’S DONEGAL FUTURE IN DOUBT AS HE MOVES ABROAD

first_imgDonegal goalkeeper Paul Durcan has become the first player to leave Rory Gallagher’s panel after he announced he is moving to the middle East to live for the immediate future.Paul DurcanThe former Four Masters man, who has been living in Dublin for the last number of years and transferred to Ballyboden St Enda’s, is moving to Qatar along with his wife, who is taking up a teaching contract.Gallagher, however, has revealed that while Durcan will play no part in the National League, there is a possibility that he could return in time for the 2016 Ulster Championship. “It’s something we have been aware of,” Gallagher told the Belfast Telegraph. “He is going for the foreseeable future but he hasn’t ruled out the possibility that he might be back in time to play next year. He has left that open.“His wife is starting a job out there. Most people only stay for a year and he is not intending to be out there long-term. It’s very much undecided and we haven’t spoken at the end of the year, but he wasn’t ruling out being back in time for the start of next year’s Championship.”With goalkeepers now a much more essential part of modern-day Gaelic football, Donegal will be hurt by the loss of Durcan, an All-Star in 2012 and 2014.His kick-outs have been a major part of Donegal’s possession-based game, with many rating him as highly as Dublin’s Stephen Cluxton in that regard. Working with former Finn Harps goalkeeper James Gallagher in the set-up this year, Durcan’s form showed that the lapse in concentration that gifted a kick-out to Kieran Donaghy and led to a goal for the Kerry man in last year’s All-Ireland final, did not derail his form.Gallagher believes that Durcan is in the running for a third All-Star when the committee make their deliberations in November.“I believe he is playing better than ever,” said Gallagher.“He made a number of strong saves, his kick-outs are top class, he can execute any short balls. His handling is also top class, he didn’t drop one all year.“It depends on how the next couple of games go, but he knows how valuable he is to us and how highly we rate him.” A number of other Donegal players have made comments to the effect that this might have been their last year, such as Eamon McGee and Christy Toye, but Gallagher insists he will be letting players get on with club commitments before making any approaches about the future.The Belleek man added: “There will be no conversations yet. Everybody has an idea where they stand but it will be a month before we talk to anybody. Every player is always sore when the season ends. But we have a good idea with most people.”PAUL DURCAN’S DONEGAL FUTURE IN DOUBT AS HE MOVES ABROAD was last modified: August 11th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Paul Durcanlast_img read more

Which Warriors executive are Pelicans interested to interview?

first_imgKlay Thompson subscribes. You can too for just 11 cents a day for 11 months + receive a free Warriors Championship book. Sign me up!MINNEAPOLIS — Plenty of NBA teams want to emulate the Warriors. And why not? They have won three NBA championships in the past four seasons. They might win another one in three months.Hence, it is not surprising the New Orleans Pelicans would like to interview a Warriors executive that the front office holds in high regard. The Warriors granted the Pelicans …last_img read more

ChinaJapan drawing closer amid trade pressure from US

first_imgBEIJING, China – Shared trade friction with the U.S. appears to be drawing longtime Asian rivals China and Japan closer, with Chinese President Xi Jinping telling Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Friday that the two countries are “sharing more common interests and concerns.”China-Japan relations have undergone turbulence but are now “back to a normal track,” Xi told Abe during the first formal visit to Beijing by a Japanese leader in nearly seven years.“Under the new situation, our interdependence with each other has deepened. Also, we are sharing more common interests and concerns in multilateral and wider areas,” Xi said.Abe’s visit highlights the improvement in ties after they hit a low in 2012 during a dispute over East China Sea islands controlled by key U.S. ally Japan but claimed by China.While that feud remains unresolved, trade and investment have recovered and companies from the two sides are exploring joint investments in third countries such as Thailand.China has come under increasing pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump’s move to impose punitive tariffs on $250 billion in Chinese products and attempt to limit Chinese access to American technology. Beijing has responded with tariffs of its own on U.S. goods such as soybeans, and no swift resolution to the standoff appears likely.Trump has also raised tariffs on imports of steel and aluminum from Japan and other countries, and is threatening tariffs on Japanese autos and auto parts. That seems to be prompting both countries to look for alternative markets and co-operate on foreign investments where their interests converge, despite their longstanding disagreements.“In the past several years, the China-Japan relationship has experienced ups and downs. With the efforts made by both parties, our relationship has been straightened out and come back to a normal track,” Xi said.Abe responded that Japan believes the two countries should take a free and fair trade system to “a new level.”“Based on these principles, Japan and China need to work together and contribute to what the world in a sense expects of us, toward the peace and stability of the region, and that of the world,” Abe said.Prior to meeting Xi, Abe met twice with Chinese Premier Li Keqiang to discuss issues ranging from the East China Sea dispute to trade co-operation and human rights, according to Abe spokesman Takeshi Osuga.Speaking to reporters afterward, Li said 500 business agreements worth $18 billion had been signed between Chinese and Japanese companies during the visit, displaying the “bright future” for co-operation between the sides. Osuga said he could not confirm that figure, saying they were purely commercial arrangements reached by the companies involved.Abe, who has been accompanied on his visit by a 500-strong business delegation, expressed hopes for closer ties and a shift in relations from “competition to co-operation,” an apparent reference to the rifts that until recently have muted Japanese business interests in China.The visit, which featured Japanese flags hung in the heart of Beijing, marks a dramatic outward improvement in ties from six years ago.Anti-Japanese riots broke out in China after Tokyo nationalized the islands, called Senkaku by Japan and Diaoyu by China, and Beijing froze high-level contacts. Tourism, trade and investment dropped off and Japanese-brand vehicles and other products were vandalized or destroyed.Ties have also been dogged by enduring Chinese resentment over Japan’s invasion and occupation last century and a political, military and economic rivalry for influence in Asia and beyond.Speaking at a briefing for reporters, Osuga said ties had recovered from what had been “not normal relations with a neighbouring country,” but said differences remained. That is particularly true in the East China Sea, where in addition to the islands, China and Japan are at odds over the exploitation of natural gas and other resources.“Prime Minister Abe reiterated his view that, without stability in the East China Sea, there will not be a true improvement of the relationship,” Osuga said.“The two leaders shared the view that there needs to be concrete progress in the field of maritime domain as balancing the security field, to build a constructive relationship and to get rid of the mutual distrust between the people of the two countries,” he said.To further that, the sides agreed to hold a meeting by the end of the year to discuss ways to avoid confrontations in the air and at sea, and also signed an agreement on search and rescue co-operation, Osuga said.He declined to give details about the leaders’ discussions on the territorial dispute, human rights and other sensitive issues.Japan this year terminated four decades of government assistance to China, considered by some as a type of reparations for the damage caused during its invasion and occupation. As China’s economy surged past Japan’s to become the world’s second largest, such assistance appeared increasingly anachronistic, although Japan had continued to provide funds for problems such as health and air pollution that affect the region as a whole.For now, however, Asia’s two largest economies appear to have shelved differences in favour of business ties. China is already Japan’s largest trading partner and Japanese companies from carmakers to department stores play a major role in the Chinese economy.Abe, who also attended a third-country investment conference and met with students at elite Peking University, is to return to Japan on Saturday. The last such visit was in late 2011.Xi is expected to visit Japan next year, with Abe returning to China to attend a trilateral summit of the leaders of China, Japan and South Korea.last_img read more

11th Annual Firemans Charity Ball

first_imgTickets for the event are $100 and are available at the FSJ Firehall or call 250.264.2857Fire Fighters Charitable Society; CLICK HERE FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – This weekend is the 11th Annual Fireman’s Charity Ball being held at the Pomeroy Hotel and Conference Centre.The Ball being held on Saturday, May 4th is an event to raise funds to support local people through the Fire Fighters Charitable Societies Medical Travel Program and burn survivors in BC and the Yukon.The Montney Coulees will be featured performers for the night as the evening will host a Dinner and Dance as well as a live and silent auction and raffles.last_img read more

Modi got ex-BSF jawan’s nomination ‘cancelled’: Kejriwal

first_imgNew Delhi: AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal Wednesday alleged that Prime Minister Narendra Modi got former BSF jawan Tej Bahadur Yadav’s nomination “cancelled” as he was “afraid” to contest against him from the Varanasi Lok Sabha seat. Yadav’s nomination as the Samajwadi Party candidate from the seat was rejected Wednesday over “discrepancies” in the two sets of nomination papers submitted by him. Notices in this regard were sent to him on Tuesday. Also Read – Odd-Even: CM seeks transport dept’s views on exemption to women, two wheelers, CNG vehicles “There will be fewer occasions in history when the jawans of a country are compelled to challenge their PM, but this is the first time in history that a PM has been so afraid of a jawan that instead of competing with him, he got his nomination cancelled on technical grounds. “Modi ji, you are very weak and the country’s jawan won,” Kejriwal tweeted. Yadav was dismissed from the Border Security Force (BSF) after he triggered a controversy by uploading a video in which he alleged that poor quality food was being served to jawans. Also Read – More good air days in Delhi due to Centre’s steps: Javadekar In the first set of papers on April 24, he had mentioned that he was dismissed from the Border Security Force. On April 29 he submitted a second set of papers – this time as the Samajwadi Party nominee for the Lok Sabha seat – but did not give out this information. He was also required to submit a no-objection certificate from the BSF, giving reasons for his dismissal. Modi is seeking reelection from Varanasi. In the 2014 Lok Sabha polls, Modi, who contested from two seats –Varanasi in UP and Vadodra in Gujarat– had defeated Kejriwal from here. Congress’ Ajay Rai finished third.last_img read more

After Jind episode, Khattar asks CEC if he can stay in poll-bound Chandigarh after campaign ends

first_imgChandigarh: Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar, who had to move the high court after election officials refused to grant him permission for overnight halt in Jind on Friday citing the model code of conduct, has now written to the Election Commission asking if he can stay in state capital Chandigarh when it goes to polls on May 19. Stranded due to bad weather, Khattar was allowed to stay at a guest house in Jind only after the Punjab and Haryana High Court conducted a late night hearing on a plea by his aide. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra Singh Haryana’s Advocate General Baldev Raj Mahajan had said earlier that the Jind deputy commissioner, who is also the Returning Officer, had cited the model code of conduct while refusing permission to Khattar and reasoned that after the campaigning is over, ministers and MLAs cannot stay overnight in constituencies except where they are registered voters. Khattar is a registered voter in Karnal, from where he is an MLA. After the peculiar situation on Khattar’s stay on Friday, his additional principal secretary has now written to Chief Election Commissioner Sunil Arora seeking clarification on whether he can stay in Chandigarh after the campaigning ends there on Friday. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroad The letter written on behalf of the chief minister mentioned the circumstances under which Khattar’s aide had to move the high court earlier on his behalf. . The letter of the law, if taken to its extreme, would mean that the chief executive of the state cannot stay anywhere in the state for any purpose during this period (when campaign ends till polls are held) except where he is a registered voter. This becomes even more piquant in the case of Haryana where the state capital does not fall within the limits of the state jurisdiction. “Thereby, the chief minister would also have to leave his official residence in the state capital in Chandigarh on May 17 evening as elections in UT Chandigarh is due on May 19 and the chief minister is not a registered voter in Union Territory, Khattar’s additional principal secretary wrote to the CEC. The chief minister would like to be advised by the Election Commission of India on the course of action that has to be followed given the circumstances as mentioned, he wrote seeking to know if Khattar can stay in Chandigarh when poll campaigning comes to a close in the UT on Friday. Chandigarh, which is the common capital of both Haryana and Punjab, goes to polls in the seventh and final phase on May 19. The chief minister, whose chopper could not take off for Chandigarh from Sirsa due to inclement weather on Friday evening, had decided to head to the state capital by road, but was stuck due to a dust storm. He then decided to make a night halt at a government guest house at Narwana in Jind, which lies in Sonepat constituency, but the Returning Officer orally informed an aide of the CM that he could not stay overnight there due to the poll code after which the court was approached.last_img read more

Egypt coach Cuper thinks Salah is one of the best in

first_imgThe Liverpool player is definitely of the highest importance to Egypt’s international team, considering the fact that they are now preparing for a World Cup finals appearance – something they haven’t done since 1990.Salah has been one of the most discussed players lately, and there is a reason behind that – he is currently leading the Premier League in goals scored this season as he recently claimed the first place from Harry Kane after he scored four goals in a single game against Watford.“I think Salah is one of the best players in the world right now and I don’t know if he can be the best player in the world but what he’s doing now is really important,” Egypt coach Cuper shared.divock origi, liverpoolReport: Origi cause Klopp injury concerns George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Divock Origi injury in today’s game against Newcastle is a cause for concern for Jurgen Klopp.Perhaps with one eye on Tuesday’s trip to Italy…“I always say that behind a great player there has to be a great team.”“I don’t know if we are a great team but we cover what Salah gives us, we try to give as much security as we can as a team and until now we have been able to achieve things,” Cuper added, according to Goal.last_img read more

Juventus plan B for Allegri exit

first_imgDue to the growing uncertainty surrounding Massimiliano Allegri’s future at Juventus, the club have reportedly created a shortlist of potential candidates to replace the Italian coachTuttosport (via Football-Italia) have reported that the Serie A leaders expect Allegri to remain at Turin for next season, but have begun considering alternatives with five potential candidates having been shortlisted by the Juventus board.The Italian publication revealed that the club are favouring a move for Lazio manager Simone Inzaghi, who has guided The Eagles into contention for qualification for next season’s Champions League with an inferior budget compared to rivals Inter Milan, AS Roma and AC Milan.Franck Ribery, FiorentinaFiorentina owner: “Ribery played better than Ronaldo!” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Fiorentina owner Rocco Commisso was left gushing over Franck Ribery’s performance against Juventus, which he rates above that of even Cristiano Ronaldo’s.The Turin side are also interested in bringing former star player Zinedine Zidane back to the Allianz Stadium with the Frenchman’s future at Real Madrid likely to be determined on the outcome of their Champions League campaign.Others names that have been mentioned by the Juventus board include Massimo Carrera, formerly assistant to Antonio Conte at the club, France boss Didier Deschamps and Roberto Mancini.last_img read more